Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
In light of the presidential election, no doubt many of you are upset that your candidate did not win. As I am writing this it is #electionday2016 and I have no idea who is winning as people are still voting, but I do know, as many people have said that no matter who wins the election, God is still bigger and He is still in control.
This day is a turning point in the history of this country no doubt, but it is a day that has been written long ago by our king. He is not worried or anxious. He is not going to thwart His plan, He IS the plan. This country takes on new leadership, but we stand firm in who our leader is.
Follow the leader was a fun game a kid. You stand behind someone in line and had to follow that person wherever they went.
We will follow this leader that God has given us here on earth, but we know who is King.
The verse of the week is Philippians 4:6-7 and we are going to break it down as what it means to us individual and what it means to us as a nation (One Nation Under God to be exact) Mark 3:24-25
Do not be anxious about anything
That means anything! He didn’t say “don’t be anxious about big things but little things are okay” and he didn’t say “don’t be anxious about somethings”, he said don’t be anxious about ANYTHING.
Let’s define anything, since we often think it is okay to be anxious about somethings.
According to dictionary.com:
Here is the word we are looking at this month. THANKSGIVING.
Your turn: What anxious thought(s) are you currently experiencing that you can use to give God thanks?
Thanking God is Praising God.
- Do it with your mouth, not just your mind—Psalm 51:15, 63:5, 66:8, 66:17, 71:8, 15, 24, 105:2, 109:30, 119:171-172, 145:21
- Seek God, thirst for Him—Psalm 22:26, 42:2, 63:8, 105:4
- Thank God continuously—Psalm 71:6, 8, 14-15, 75:9, 79:13, 92:1-2, 115:18, 145:2
- Tell people about God’s wondrous works—Psalm 26:7, 96:3
- Thank and praise God in front of your brothers and sisters in the congregation, among many people- Psalm 22:22, 25, 26:12, 35:18, 68:26, 111:1, 116:19 Among the unsaved of all nations, thank and praise God—Psalm 18:49, 57:9, 96:10, 108:3
- Praise God to the next and all generations—79:13, 102:18, 145:4
- Sing praises to God, sing with understanding, and make it glorious—Psalm 7:17, 47:7, 66:2, 66:4, 9:2, 27:6, 28:7, 57:9, 61:8, 63:7, 68:4, 32, 69:30, 71:22-23, 92:1, 96:2, 101:1, 104:33, 105:2, 135:3, 146:2
- Even sing for joy in your bed Psalm 149:5
- Do it with all your heart—Psalm 9:1, 86:12, 111:1, 138:1
- Be glad and rejoice in God—Psalm 9:2
- Fear God, honor Him, glorify Him, revere Him—Psalm 22:23
- Love and respect God’s house—Psalm 26:8, 138:2
- Don’t sin, seek righteousness—Psalm 33:1
- Play musical instruments to praise God, and do it skillfully—Psalm 33:2-3, 43:4, 71:22, 92:3, 149:3, 150:3-5
- Shout for joy, rejoice—Psalm 33:3
- Be creative in your praise (write or sing God a NEW song, not always the same old one) Psalm 33:3, 149:1
- Stand in awe of Him—Psalm 33:8
- Remember and praise God’s names—Psalm 44:8, 45:17, 54:6
- Lift up your hands to Him—Psalm 63:4
- Think about God at night—Psalm 63:6
- Encourage other to praise and thank God—Psalm 67:3-5
- Praise him with dancing—Psalm 150:3, 30:11, 149:3